Ink Smooshing Backgrounds for Encouragement Cards

Hello  crafty friends!

Today I’ll be sharing a quick post on 3 encouragement cards I created for some awesome co-workers, using the ink smooshing technique and some of my favorite Lawn Fawn dye inks. Side note, have you picked up any fun goodies from all the stamp companies that are releasing new products right now? Honestly, I have some bills I have to pay down so today is about digging through my existing stash and trying to create new designs.

To start, I cut Strathmore watercolor paper into 3”x3” panels and made their card bases that measured to be 3.5”x4” using black Recollections 110lb. cardstock.

Since the ink smooshing technique can get messy for me, I wanted to make sure I worked on my Ranger craft mat. From my supplies, I pulled a scrap piece of acetate and some of my Lawn Fawn dye inks in the following colors: Peach Fuzz, Fake Tan, Bubble Gum, Gauva, Minty Fresh, Celery Stick, Fresh Cut Grass, Merman, Mermaid, and Pink Flamingo.

The beauty of this technique is how free and forgiving it can be because you are relinquishing some control (which is something that is a daily struggle since I’m naturally a control freak, ha!). So with this technique, you can let loose and let the organic results just surprise you!

I would lightly smoosh the ink pad surface across the acetate sheet and using my Tim Holtz spritzer, I spritzed varying amounts of water. I pressed the acetate sheet onto the watercolor panels and moved around the sheet. I used my heat tool to dry the panels before deciding to re-do the techniques using other colors of ink. I wanted to avoid a big pool of muddied color so I dried in between layers and tried choosing colors that I knew would be complementary together.

After each panel was dried, I pulled out my MISTI stamping tool and pulled out the stamp set I wanted to use. I can’t say I know the exact name of the stamp set, but it was created by Jen Hadfield of American Crafts. I used Versafine pigment ink in Onyx Black ink and double stamped each sentiment.

march

Finally, I used foam tape to adhere to my black panels and that completes the project for today.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Advertisements